Friday, April 17, 2009

Comfort Food

Phillip has been really sick this week. It started last weekend when we were in Florence. Initially we chalked it up to allergies, but it's lingered. This became concerning to me as he progressively worsened over the past few days (it should be noted that typically Phillip could run stark naked through a blizzard and never get sick).

I thought I'd be all "wifely" and try to make him feel better. My first step was to call his aunt for directions on how to make chicken n' dumplings. Having never attempted this before, I was quite perplexed. For those of you that know me well, it is an understatement to say that my forte is not in the kitchen.

So after working my 12 hour day, off I went to the grocery store to buy the needed supplies. I called Aunt Diane, once more, to ensure that I had what I needed and to ask if it was possible to use boneless, skinless chicken. She told me it wouldn't be as good. Not wanting to short-change my husband on the chicken n' dumplings front, I proceeded with what became one of the most arduous cooking endeavors that I have yet to embark upon.

That Which Could Be Consumed

Much of the next two and a half hours were spent trying to determine what part of the chicken I was cooking. I sent text messages to Lee (P's cousin) with pictures for his mom to "decode." I have no clue why the grocery store would include a neckbone in what they package and send home, but alas they did. I asked Lee what it was. His reply, "It looks as if it is the bird's dignity." I thought this was a befitting reply, but was not satisfied. Once I told Lee that I was quite close to losing my Christianity if my curiousity was not soon appeased he recruited the help of Aunt Diane. She was promptly able to identify the curious body part. She even encouraged using the meat on the neckbone. I promptly ushered said body part (aka: the dignity) into the trash with probably a large portion of the chicken that I bought. Any meat that I considered too dark to be chicken (and mostly resembled a form of defecation) got a pass straight to the garbage can!

The Portions of the Trash

Finally my project was complete around midnight. I have yet to try it, and Phillip hasn't eatten yet today (perhaps I should take that as a hint). Next time I believe I'm going to stick with using my Purdue Perfect Portions chicken. I'll use Swanson's broth as a stock. That was a ton of work! My love for Aunt Diane grew by leaps and bounds last night. Bless that woman for her patience! Here's to hoping Phillip enjoys his chicken n' dumplings and his dessert, Zyrtec!

I'm gettin' there. I hope!

1 comment:

Katie said...

I find this extremely humorous, and only wish that I could have been a fly on the wall to observe this endeavor of yours!