Thursday, August 12, 2010

And still we carry on...

I just realized that my lack of pictures is beginning to make this blog quite boring.  I will try to make up for this.  We are about to leave for a weekend of fun in South Carolina with Phillip's family.  I always have plenty to share after these trips.  

I wanted to update everyone on our current state of being post-doctor's appointment last Friday.  This past Friday was initially suppose to be the date we found out if we were expecting.  However, we knew going in that we were not.  Although I cannot say we were happy about not being pregnant, at least we didn't have to deal with the disappointment in the doctor's office.  God was definitely looking out for us there.  


We were able to spend our time constructively going over options with the doctor.  As much as I dislike most of the options, at least they are available to us.  We decided to stick with the course we are currently on for two more rounds.  Unfortunately, since the last round resulted in ovarian cysts and no little ones, I have to start taking an additional hormone along with a drug called Metformin.  I was none too pleased about this.  Phillip and I both told that doctor that we were aware of some of the long-term side effects from Metformin.  This drug is actually a diabetic medication, but when combined with clomid (fertility drug) it actually helps your body do what it should want to do naturally.  A few months ago I attempted taking the same thing, but after four days of what felt like a horrible stomach virus I digressed.  I researched it and it does cause liver damage if used long-term.  I will only have to continue taking it through the 13th week of pregnancy if anything results from this round.


This past round of clomid really sent us for a loop.  Apparently, it gives you all of the symptoms of early pregnancy without being pregnant.  Meaning I got to spend a lot of time proverbially praying to the porcelain god in our bathroom, crying over absolutely anything and everything, and being ridiculously tired.  Needless to say, neither of us are looking forward to adding two more medications and doubling the dosage of clomid this month.  


We are really hoping that everything will work out.  I have already started the Metformin again because my dosage has to be built up before I can start the clomid again.  Surprisingly, I get a little sick about an hour after taking it, but it hasn't been as bad as it was previously.  I have to gradually increase my dosage for the next two weeks (going from 500 mg to 1500 mg), so I really hope it continues as well as it has thus far this week.  

Other than the minor interruptions from medications, we are enjoying our month off!  I am sure that I will have lots of pictures to post from this month.  We are heading to SC this weekend, Phillip is working the other two weekends of the month, I am heading to Wilmington to visit Brandy and Will later in August, and then we get to spend the entire Labor Day weekend in SC with Phillip's family.  I love it when fall comes creeping up!  After this crazy hot summer, you better bet that we are more than ready for it too!!!


Prayer Requests:
*Phillip's work has him on 6 day weeks (approximately 60 hours) through the end of the month.  This wouldn't normally bother him, but the heat is really draining him.  Pray for safe keeping and lots of rest when he is at home.
*Drugs - My body doesn't like any of them and will typically display almost any side effect imaginable.  We are really hoping that despite the fact that medications are doubling and our prospects don't look any better now than they did months ago, I will react surprisingly well to everything I have to take.  
*Strength - This past round was tough because we both got our hopes up.  Although it was ignorant of both of us, it's tough to go through everything and not be a little hopeful.  Phillip has been amazing, but I often feel like he's the backbone for both of us.  I really want to be the support he needs because this hasn't been easy on him either.
*The Little Bean - I have gotten to the point where I don't have adequate words.  We just hope that he/she will know the Lord in an intimate way and long for a relationship with Him. We want to be a mirror to reflect that love to our child(ren).  


Until next time, thanks for the prayers and support. 

No comments: