Sunday, November 18, 2012

Shoeboxes for OCC

Everyone's heard of Samaritan's Purse and their annual Opperation Christmas Child drive, right?!  If not, go here, educate yourself, give.  

I am all about family traditions.  I don't want ours to be stuffy or all about how much our children get during the holidays.  I want us to build memories together while having fun.  I want them to know and understand the true meaning of Christmas (fortunately, Emory already loves Veggietales: Saint Nicholas - A Story of Joyful Giving).  I want them to give freely so the world can see God working in and through them.  Currently I have to pry a paci out of the clinched fist of my toddler, so obviously we have a ways to go.  Baby steps!

We go to a large church.  Every year there is a huge collection of these shoeboxes.  It was our intention (you know that they say about those) to do this last year, but it just didn't happen.  So this year we grabbed two boxes, stuffed them with lots of goodies appropriate for two little boys ages 2-4 (it only seemed appropriate since they are from a little boy), wrote a card to each child, said a prayer for our recipients and their families, and off they go with us to church tomorrow!  Perhaps it's silly of me, but I included our address on the inside of the card in hopes that we will hear back from a little boy.  Maybe...

Each box only cost $7 to ship and send.  You can even track your box online if you wish!
In the boxes (keep in mind these are for 2-4 year old boys): several pages of sticker, Lightning McQueen cars, ABC and 123 board books, 2 other mini-storybooks, Slinky (I mean, it's a toy for all ages), harmonica, 2 disc shooters, clapper hands, crayons, and a card with a prayer from our family to his!
I realize this was probably much more thrilling for me than it was for Emory, but I hope he learns to appreciate and enjoy these traditions as he grows up.  This was super easy too!  Most everything came from the Target value section.  You know the one, right when you walk in the door, calling your name to buy little morsels of stuff you could always live without?  Yes, that one!  The crayons I buy when they are on sale in August when school starts (24 crayons for $0.50, why yes I think I do need one more pack).  Lightning McQueen was definitely a Phillip pick, but I liked that he got into it. 

We hope you will join us in supporting this great cause.  They are delivering the 100 millionth box this year!  How amazing!  

It's the small things...like a little shoebox!

Kristin

P.S. - Don't ever attempt to pack a Sperry box.  They are a bit more spacious, but the wrapping process was quite an uphill battle!

No comments: