Monday, November 14, 2011

Project 31: Day 26

Realizing now that I didn't exactly finish strong, I do want to go back and complete the last few days that I missed.  Let's just say that starting a whole lot of jobs and stuff around our house has been crazy.  So, I can't promise this will get done in the next five days, but it will get done...eventually.  :-)

Day 26: What do you hope your grandchildren will say about you one day when you are gone?

This is a bit too deep for my liking.  :-)  Don't get my wrong, I definitely want to leave a legacy worth remembering.  However, I'm trying to not think so much about tomorrow.  Instead, I'm giving it the ole college try at living in the moment (responsibly speaking, though).  Here's about as far ahead as I've thought:

I want Emory to realize that he is a priceless gift from God.  I hope our grandchildren will know the same.  I want to commit to raising him in the shadow of the cross.  I don't want to teach oppressive religion though.  I want our children and grandchildren to have a healthy fear of God, but more than anything I desire for them to live a life of abandon in Christ. 

I considered (for much longer than I care to admit) getting a tattoo across the inside of my wrist with the word "undignified" written in.  I love this story in  II Samuel of King David.  He didn't care who saw him worshiping the Lord.  He didn't worry about what his neighbors would think of him.  His worship was for God.  His song, his dance, his HEART was for Christ!  I want my legacy to be like that.  Our children and grandchildren (and maybe we'll be lucky enough to be around and see some great-grands) will know that we are committed to God. 

In lighter terms though - I want them to read!  I love books.  Reading is a gift.  I don't think kids in America truly appreciate how precious this gift is.  I also want them to laugh.  I want them to find the small things in life and relish them.  I want them to feel loved.  I want to hug them as tight as I can.  I have a rather independent baby when it comes to snuggling and it breaks my heart.  However on those rare night when he's wanting to just be held and hugged tight, I jump in with both feet and LIVE for those moments.  I want them to see a marriage that works.  Phillip and I aren't always perfect, but we have fun, we laugh, we love, and goodness knows we have shed a tear or two.  I think it's important for our kids to know these things about us.  It's even more important for them to see us pray together to overcome hardships.

I realize this might be scattered, but that's my life/brain right now.  Here's to hoping I leave something worth remembering.  What impression do you hope to leave behind?


No comments: