Thursday, March 6, 2014

Our Sweet Damatou

Several months ago I joined this Bible study for young mothers. I really wanted to connect with people in a similar place in life that shared my convictions and were experiencing on a daily basis the same things I awoke to each morning. Let's face it, once we bring little ones into the world it becomes painstakingly obvious that there are a LOT of differences in parenting styles even amongst our closest friends. 

I got so much more than just a community of friends from this study. My heart really started to break for the things that broke God's heart. I have never been blind to the plight of those that struggle, but in all honesty I don't live in the midst of it so it wasn't pervasively on my mind...UNTIL I started Nehemiah: A Heart That Can Break by Kelly Minter. Obviously, Nehemiah's heart broke for his people and their need for a safe home with protected boundaries in Jerusalem, but through this study God revealed so many opportunities, both big and small, for my own heart to be shaped and molded.

Throughout the study I really felt pulled to sponsor a child through this phenomenal organization called Compassion International. There was one little five-year-old that kept speaking to me. I prayed. Maybe $38 a month doesn't seem like a lot, but when you are a one-income household with two small children and a slew of bills, it adds up fast. I am the type of person that needs to know something will work out before I make a commitment, especially this kind. This sweet girl had been waiting over a year for a sponsor and I didn't want to be the one to commit and let her down. 

Phillip kept asking what I wanted for my birthday (the big 3-0). Let's face it, I spend my days covered in various forms of food and bodily fluids. If I transfer from pjs to yoga pants before the kids go down for naps, it's a screaming success of a day. So, I did it. I asked for her. Being the amazing husband that he is, Phillip agreed. Granted, we aren't big gift givers for birthdays or holidays and I realize that sponsorship for another 13 years is a commitment, but the Bible says in Matthews 16:24-26, "Then Jesus said to his disciples, 'Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it. What good will it be for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul? Or what can anyone give in exchange for their soul?'"
Tell me she's not the most gorgeous little thing ever!

So I kind of took it as a commandment. After all, "whatever you did for one of the least of these, you did for me" (Matthew 25:40). Sure enough, we stepped out and every month every single penny (and often times much more to send for birthday celebrations and Christmas) has come rolling through the door. We were even able to bless her whole family with a monetary contribution at Christmas. Do you want to know the highlight of it all? My first letter from her! Her favorite "toys" are a box and dirt (as it turns out she's not that different from my own children). Her only prayer request was that her family would be happy together somehow.
Sweet Damatou's picture hangs on our fridge and every night Emory struggles through pronouncing her name as he prays for her, but he does it. He prays for someone he doesn't know, whose circumstances he doesn't understand, and whose life he can significantly impact through sacrificing a few trips to McAlister's and SweetFrog on Sundays after church. :-)

*I included a link to Compassion International's website. There are always more children waiting. It's such a great opportunity to directly share God's love with another person, their family, and even their community. Pray about it. Maybe God's opening a similar door for you and your family!*


Kristin

No comments: