Monday, March 17, 2014

Soapbox: Raising Real Men

I'm going to come right out and say it. I have to. The attitude of a large portion of our society today sickens me. According to the current belief system some of these individuals buy into, everyone owes them something and they should have to work for nothing. It's sad to me. There's no pride in standing on your own two feet and enjoying the fruits of your labor. It's easier to accept mediocrity and live off the government. (Obviously this is not the case for everyone, but anyone that's been alive and paying taxes for longer than five years can see a steady decline in societal motivation.) Hear me out when I say this, but I believe parents need to raise stronger men.

Before you go wagging your finger and burning bras, please know that I believe women are more than capable of standing on their own two feet should they choose to do so (but I don't have a daughter, so I can't speak on what it's like to raise them). However, I think there's something to be said for a man (much like my own) that sacrifices to provide for his family. I read a blog post tonight from The MOB (Mothers of Boys) Society entitled Protectors, Providers, and Leaders. I haven't read the book referenced (although now it is on the "to read" list on Goodreads pour moi), but I want to say at the end of this mothering journey that I raised boys that do exactly that in a righteous and godly manner.

I already see the seeds of protection from Emory and it makes my heart leap. He feels everything so intently. From his brother's whines to his friend's hurt knee, concern and care pour out of this child. Sometimes I find myself wishing he didn't "feel" so much because he can react rather strongly. I take heart in the fact that his wife will (hopefully) adore this quality about him. I know his little girl friends already love being helped out of their shoes on the indoor playgrounds! :-)
 
One day he will give the flowers he picks to some lucky lady that isn't his mama. For now, I will savor these moments.

I can't speak for how our sons will turn out. I can say that their daddy sets the best example in the world for being a provider. Phillip works 60+ hours most weeks without complaint. He gets home at 2/3 AM and without fail he is up with the boys by 11 every day. If I happen to not have a play date or outing scheduled for the morning, he lets me sleep in or run errands without having to pack up two little ones. His selflessness amazes me. THIS is the type of father and husband I pray my sons emulate.
During our trip to Asheville and one of the few days he's taken off.
Leadership isn't a quality that is easily manufactured. I have a two-year-old that is as vivacious as can be at home, but once he's out in unfamiliar territory he clams up like he's never uttered a word. I think our fearless Gingersnap may be a natural leader; he certainly has the tenacity for the job! Either way, both of our sons have to possess the ability to lead. I liked how the blog post pointed out that they can lead companies or just their families, but they need to do so with wisdom and integrity. I hope they choose to be leaders and mentors for more than just their families. There are countless children waiting for someone to care enough to invest in them all throughout our communities. Women are usually the ones still in the picture, but so many times it is a father that is lacking. I pray we develop a country of young men willing to step in and lead! 

Today the water table, but tomorrow he'll conquer the playground!

I have to admit that respecting the leadership position of my husband was not my go-to response when we first got married. Fortunately, Phillip isn't the type of man to "demand" this is me and God was more than willing to work on my not-so-submissive spirit, but I will say that Phillip made it very easy to follow his leadership because he truly is always concerned with what is best for our family. Learning to be the ezer he needs is my responsibility!

If you happen to parent a little guy (or more), check out The MOB Society blog. If you happen to parent a little lady, maybe talk to her about these qualities in men and how she can help encourage her brother, friend, or even her own father!

 Kristin

No comments: