Monday, July 5, 2010

Florida Vacation: Part I

The oil spill ruined our initial plans for vacationing this year.  We had made reservation in Naples.  We had all these wonderful plans at area locations.  Phillip did not want to postpone the trip (he said that he needed a break...he deserved one too).  We made the tough decision a week before our departure to cancel our reservations and look elsewhere.  A friend from college had moved down to Jacksonville from Charlotte last October.  So at the suggestion of Meredith, we made reservations at One Ocean Resort in Atlantic Beach, Florida.

Trying to be optimistic about this whole thing, we started out on Saturday for our vacation.  We had a nice trip down, complete with a high speed chase.  We were used as the front of the road block.  However, the police failed to mention this to us, and we were subsequently scared to death when the car came flying past us.  I say we, but I really mean me.  Phillip wanted to do it again.  Instead we hit up an outlet mall to relieve some stress.  We finally got to the hotel, checked in, and headed out for dinner.

Below are a few pics of our room.  Nice enough and very comfy bed.  However, if we could recommend one of the Preferred Hotels & Resorts we have stayed before it would be Chateau Elan.  They beat One Ocean by a mile!


As soon as we settled in and had dinner, we met Meredith, her sister, and a friend at a local restaurant, Al's Pizza.  We loved Al's!
Mary Elizabeth can do some weird things with her hands.
Meredith was feeling left out, so she had to get attention for her pinky fingers.
Me, Meredith, and the now deceased 1980s hair clip.  R.I.P.
Ready for a good night's rest!
On our first full day we chose to hang out at the beach and the hotel pool.
When I graduated from Meredith, one of my professors gave me Ernest Gaines' A Lesson Before Dying.  I decided to take it as one of my beach reading books today.  It made me miss Dr. J!
Day 3 was spent with a stomach bug of some sort.  I really think it was a water intolerance thing, so I stuck with bottled water and the rest of the vacation went A-OK!  Sadly, our trip to SeaWorld got postponed to Tuesday because of this.

No comments: