Saturday, September 3, 2011

Christmas Preparations

Fall is here (ok well not technically but in this house we consider the beginning of college football season the beginning of fall).  I love this time of year!  It means cooler weather (thank the Lord), fresh apples at the produce stand, Muscadine and Scuppernog grapes on Aunt Diane's vines, Saturdays full of football, sweaters coming out, and holidays just around the corner!

Staying at home with Emory has many perks, one of which is being a better steward with the money we do have and making it stretch to work for our family.  I seldom buy anything unless it's on sale or unless I've shopped around and found the best possible price for the item.  I'm SO excited about Emory's first Christmas.  I can't wait to start new traditions as a family (I REALLY want to read Treasuring God in Our Traditions but the library doesn't have it and I know I'll only read it once so I hate to buy it).  I want to make sure Emory knows that Christmas is about Jesus and celebrating his birth.

However as Christmas tends to go, I want our little guy to wake up to presents too (even if he will never remember it).  That being said, I have done a lot of research and narrowed down what I'd like for us to get him.  I've made sure these toys (most of them) are age appropriate, have a purpose developmentally, and will stand up to the test of time.  Longevity is a key with toys.  I hope we're able to have more kids, so I'd like to be able to pass down toys instead of just tossing them to the side. I've been able to research where the products we're looking for are most affordable and cost effective.  Here's our list:
  • Some sort of keepsake (I know he won't care about this now, but I'd like to have it for him later in life).  If you have ideas for great keepsakes for little boys, please let me know!
  • Radio Flyer All Terrain Steel & Wood Wagon - This will be the big "splurge" item.  So far, Target has the best buy on it...by a lot!  Which is surprising based on the other retailers that carry it.
  • Melissa & Doug website/A.C. Moore/Toys & Co.
  • Diapers.com
    • Sophie the Giraffe Bath Toy
      • This is mainly to enhance bath time for Emory.  The kid LOVES bath time.  He will stay in there for hours.  I'm hoping he'll be a little more stable by Christmas and that he'll be able to play with toys in the tub.
    • Baby Einstein Octoplush
      • I like that there are so many components to this toy, but the big selling point for me was the foreign language.  It's suggested that you begin teaching foreign languages to your child prior to the age of 5 and they will retain more of the language later in life. 
    • Put and Peek Birdhouse by Manhattan Toy 
      • This is a maybe gift because of the gift pictured below (Play & Fill Bug Jar). They both serve the same purpose.  Just a little different.
  • Amazon is the best buy for most books/DVDs
Here's the reason I am going with some these retailers (maybe you can find some comparable deals that will work for you):
  • AC Moore - I accidentally discovered that they carry quite a few Melissa & Doug products.  I have their rewards card, so I get coupons emailed to me AND there is ALWAYS a coupon or two on their website if you just click and print before heading out.  I recently purchased two Christmas gifts for him and took a total that would have cost almost $40 elsewhere down to less than $20 (including tax).  
  • Diapers.com - Usually they have great buys.  Plus since I have yet to purchase anything from the website, I get $10 off my first purchase of $50 or more AND they offer free shipping on orders over $50!  No gas + great deals + money off = WIN WIN WIN!
  • Amazon.com - It's no secret that this is a great place to do some one-stop shopping.  I compared the cost of the books and DVDs we are getting and couldn't find a better option.
Recently, I found a few things and crossed them off my list!
Everything but the Munchkin Sea Bath Toys were purchased at A.C.Moore.  Bath toys are from Target.  Melissa & Doug Play & Fill Bug Jar and Farmhouse Chunky Knob Puzzle.  The name train was bought by Sandra and painted by us on her trip, but I had to put it in the pic because it's cute (not a Christmas gift though).
Outfits from Target.  Poor Emory has got to have some winter clothes.  I picked these up because they come with 3 different items, so I can mix and match with other clothes he already has.  The Velveteen Rabbit was purchased several weeks ago at Borders.  Sadly, they are on their way out of business (hate it when bookstores close) but if you are looking for a deal check them out why they are still around.


I LOATHE camo.  As in hate.  However, this outfit was pretty cute.  Plus, Daddy likes camo...and it's not always about me.  ;-)
If you have traditions with your family please share!  I'm really excited about instill some in our holiday season and always looking for new ideas!


No comments: