Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Project 52 for Marriage: Week 1

Everyone knows that babies change everything.  Our marriage has changed in SO many ways over the past 5+ months.  Some good aspects and some...let's call them "weaknesses" have emerged, but we're learning to be parents and spouses.  It's an adjustment for everyone.

I am still not okay with leaving Emory.  I know, he's almost 6 months old (trust me, I'm trying to get better about this).  Phillip is probably beyond frustrated but is gracious enough to not say anything to me.  However, I am realizing that our marriage will never flourish if we only focus on the baby all the time.

That being said, I was reading the Prayer of Hannah blog the other week and saw a post about Project 52.  (I know, I'm starting lots of "Projects" this month.)  However, this one is focused on marriages.  The rules they had set forth may not function for us, but the idea is to have at least one date a week for an entire year.  We can do this, right?  RIGHT!  It had been so long since we have actually dated.  Between the stress of fertility drugs, not feeling well on the drugs or during the pregnancy, having Emory, having surgery, adjusting to life with a baby, etc. we have honestly totally neglected the relational aspect of our marriage.  

Phillip and I made our own "guidelines" to follow:
     1) Phillip has to plan one date a month.
     2) No two dates can be repeated in the same month.
     3) No cell phones, internet, etc. during said date.
     4) There must be at least 2 hours spent together.
     5) Emory can come on dates as long as the focus of the date is still our relationship.

Now we're having to be creative because we are still working on the one salary so there is definitely no dining at the nicest places in town, but we're not really the type of people that need that kind of outing to enjoy ourselves.  Our relationship has always functioned well as a simple one.  I'd like to see it remain that way.  

Last week on LivingSocial there was a deal for dance lessons.  You read that right: DANCE LESSONS.  Phillip and I are admittedly two of the least coordinated people in the world.  I fall off of my front porch at least once a year (and this year I am still recovering from the bone bruise this fall inflicted on my shin).  WE DO NOT DANCE.  

Anyway, I thought that $25 dollars for 5 private dance lessons was a steal!  I enjoyed dancing in college and high school, so I figured that I'd suck Phillip into this one and both of us could be out of our element together.  Ya'll!  I wish I had a video from this session.  All I can say is that our instructor is so precious and kind.  Lord, bless her heart for having to deal with us.  We all laughed...A LOT.  At the end of the day, that's all we really wanted.  Plus we learned the basics for a lot of ballroom dances, some shag moves, and how very short I am compared to my husband. 

The best news is...
I left Emory!  
Granted, it was only for two hours and he was at our house with my mom.  Rome wasn't built in a day!  This is progress.  I didn't even cry!  He seemed to have fun too.  We got home and he was playing with his Nana on the front porch. 
We survived!  Emory wasn't nearly as amused as we were.
We are due to go back next week as long as our schedules work out.  So our first few dates will repeat, but that's ok they still count for spending time together. 

No comments: