Monday, October 3, 2011

Project 31: Day 3

Who is someone you know who inspires beauty?

This one is difficult for me to answer because I feel incredibly blessed to be surrounded by precious individuals that have made so many positive impacts on my life.  I grew up with a great family.  We had our issues like any other family, but at the end of the day we were there for each other.  I was blessed to see lasting love and companionship in all of the relationships that meant the most in my life.  

When I married Phillip I was thrown into a family much bigger and closer than my own.  There are pros and cons to this as well, but boy do they love each other!  I told Phillip once a few years ago that when I married him I got not one, not two, not three, but essentially FOUR mother-in-laws.  His mama is the best, and you better bet she loves her son.  She would do anything for us.  Now that I've had Emory, I have to say that the mother/son bond is beyond anything I could ever describe.  Then there was Grandma Taylor.  I know families aren't suppose to play favorites, but ask anyone in Phillip's family who Grandma loved the best and they will say Phillip.  I'm not sure why, but he was the go-to guy.  She adored that boy.  It literally broke his heart the day she passed away.  Phillip was also raised in part by Ms. Miriam, his best friend's mom.  Heavens bless her heart!  I just know from dealing with Phillip and Christopher as adults that I would have lost my mind looking after them as teenagers.  She and Mr. McNair welcomed Phillip into their family as one of their own, and I have all suspicions that this completely changed his life.

Lastly, there's Aunt Diane.  She is someone that I think of when I hear the word beauty.  There are so many reasons why I ADORE this woman.  She's the first person in Phillip's family that I developed a close relationship with.  She's been our gracious hostess for 6+ years now when we visit Florence (and when we come so does ALL of our baggage...baby, dogs, most of our house, and occasionally college friends of mine).  She has such a warm, welcoming spirit with everyone she encounters.  

You see, Aunt Diane has Lupus.  There have been MANY days when we've been down there when she will kill herself cooking for their entire extended family all the while feeling miserable.  If there is anyone I can think of that epitomizes the servant's heart persona it's her.  She never complains, she loves her family, her door is always opened, AND (get this) despite the troubles that come her way she remains an optimist. 

I want to be like this! I am nearly always concerned when how I look or how my house will be perceived.  She isn't.  She keeps a clean house, but she doesn't fret over the small stuff.  She puts herself together, but doesn't obsess over clothing or appearances.  She certainly didn't have a great year in 2010, but she never let it alter her mood because tomorrow would come and bring a brighter times.  Let's just say she's a far cry from this self-admitted whiner and pessimist extraordinaire! 

There is no way I could adequately sing her praises, but to say that she's an inspiration is a start.  I pray I am open enough to allow the Lord to cultivate a servant's heart in me half as rich as Aunt Diane's.  She inspires beauty.
Who inspired beauty in your life?

No comments: