Friday, October 7, 2011

Project 31: Day 6 (a day late)

Begging forgiveness, yesterday was INSANE in the membrane.  (Yes, I just typed that.)

BIG day yesterday - I got a job and I started a Bible study!  This post isn't about either of those things, BUT the "job" is a supervising teacher position with a local tutorial agency.  Yay!  This keeps me in the educational field without being full-time.  I only work 4 hours a week!  That means no big days away from Emory AND a resume booster if the time comes when I decide to seek a full-time position.

As per the Bible study, I moved back here and had a serious issue with not being able to connect personally around this joint.  So I decided to take a leap of faith after having this nagging urge to start a group for a few years.  Guess what?  Satan totally tried to kick my butt (and the derrieres of other members).  Seriously, there are 15 ladies committed to this group and seven of us made it.  Granted, three of which I knew about before and were simply scheduling issues (which is totally understandable with a group that large).  However, all in one week the following happened: one girl got meningitis, one had emergency surgery, two had last minute school and work issues, etc.  Seriously?  Guess what we did?  We had Bible study anyway!  It was a great success.  I am so excited about this group of ladies!  I know there are great things in store for us!!!

On to Day 6!  Question: Has the world's definition of beauty ever jaded you?  

Answer: BEEP YES!  I'm going to be real honest here.  I struggled for a little over 10 years with eating/body image issues.  I think everyone has a past when it comes to body image (and if you don't stop now and THANK GOD).

I have to credit Phillip for helping me through a lot of that.  I also think that with age comes a sense of confidence that is simply lacking when you're an adolescent.  Am I the most gorgeous thing in the world by society's standards?  NOPE!  Does that bother me?  NOT ONE LITTLE BIT!  Want to know why?  I have so much more to offer the world than just my looks.  Attractiveness, according to the world's definition, looks a little more like Gisele Bundchen and a little less like a 27 year old version of Paula Deen.  Guess which one I favor?  I am smart, witty, kind, loving, etc., etc., etc.  Is any of that taken into account when determining beauty in our world?  Not really.

So yes, I've been jaded and dismayed.  I'm SO happy have moved passed that phase of my life.  That's not to say that I don't struggle with self-doubt and the occasional body image issue, but I certainly don't obsessively live by them like I did previously.  Plus, "the King is enthrall by [my] beauty; honor Him, for He is your Lord" (Psalm 45:11).  Guess who thinks I'm pretty?  ;-)


Just something to think about - I remember reading years ago about a breast cancer survivor that never saw herself as beautiful until she had a mastectomy and endured her fight for life.  I think it's telling and beautiful that only after the vanity was ripped away that she realized all that she was and had to offer the world. 

Who needs the world's dictionary to define beauty?  I am my own Merriam-Webster!  :-P  Look at me go!!!
Just a little Friday shout out to that man of mine!  Love you Sweet P!

No comments: