Thursday, October 6, 2011

Project 31: Day 5

Day 5's challenge is to write a post thanking someone that has made your heart come alive.  I think this is going to be incredibly difficult for me for much the same reason that I've yet to be able to document Emory's birth story.  Raw emotions are tough for me to deal with, and much, much more challenging for me to put into words (be they written or spoken).

I don't want this whole project to be about motherhood, but I honestly don't know that my heart ever fully loved until the day Emory was born.  (Seriously, I'm already tearing up.  See, very hard for this lady.)  Don't get me wrong, I adore me some Phillip.  I have a wonderful family that blesses me daily with support.  However, there's something different and completely indescribable about the love you have for your own child.  So, cheers to Emory:
My sweet boy,
Do you know what your smile does for my heart?  I always knew I wanted to be a mommy, but I never would have imagined that God would reward me with someone as amazing as you.  Every time you look at me with those big brown eyes, or flash that gummy grin, or grab my finger as tight as you can my heart melts all over. 
We were so excited when we finally found out that you were on the way.  Our doctor looked at you about two months ago and said, "It was a hard fought conception, a very difficult pregnancy, and a rough few months to begin with, but he looks like he was worth every second."  You know what?  You were.  I would do it all over again...times ten. 
I was so proud of you from the very beginning.  I think you have a little bit of my stubbornness because you sure did fight.  We got to see you a whole lot while you were in my tummy because the doctors decided you were high risk.  I remember going in for what should have been a normal appointment and being rushed down stairs to be induced.  Did you know that I was planning on going grocery shopping that day?  They told me you would be in the NICU because you were refusing to move, stopped practicing breathing, and weren't responsive.  Guess what?  You showed them!  You weighed almost a pound more than they estimated AND you never left our room.  (They tried to take you one night to the nursery, but I cried so they brought you back.  You were much stronger than I even then.) 
You make each day so exciting!  I have never been a morning person...EVER.  It didn't take long before I started loving those early morning giggles and chats.  You are the best person to take walks with, especially on the farm.  You love to take everything in.  I think you get that strong, silent thing from your Daddy.  However once you have a place figured out, you make your presence known.  I have to say that I love watching you learn and grow.  Seeing you absorb all the world has to offer is intoxicating. 
I was pretty happy with my life before you, but I always knew something was missing.  I never knew that SOMETHING SO LITTLE COULD MAKE ALL THE DIFFERENCE.  Someone gave us a little magnet as part of a gift at one of our showers, so I hung on the refrigerator because the words remind me of you:
"Just when you think you know love, something little comes along to remind you just how big it really is." 
Little Man, some days you make me feel like my heart is going to jump right out of my chest with delight.  I'm sure you and I will tread rough waters in the future, but I always want you to remember that you are the reason I get out of bed every day.  I don't do it because I have to, but instead because I can't wait to see how much better our bond will be today than it was yesterday. 
I love you Sweet E.  You are the light in my life.  Thank you for making me come alive.  
Big slobbery kisses to you,
(So blessed to be able to sign this as) Your Mama

Who makes you come alive?  Thank them today (even if they don't understand a word you're saying).

No comments: